HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

WFTC 2018 Poland

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobD

PostSubject: WFTC 2018 Poland   Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:50 am

Wftc2018 Day 1
Registration at Villa Verde Hotel, Zawiercie complete after a very long wait in line. Those who have been to one of these comps knows how it is. Indoors this time with air con! Got a nice goody bag once again... I'll be able to open a shop soon with all the Steyr caps! Lol
They had also set up a small sighting in range on site at the hotel and a field target practice range. My sights were out by almost 3 MOA but the speed is spot on, rifle grouping nicely. Am happy with it though it seemed my ranging was out a little. Temperature approx 25°C.
Now back at my accommodation and my hosts are filling in for the owner and they don't speak any English. Anyhow after much patience with Google translate I was allowed to check my ranging in the garden. Found all I needed to do was adjust the sidewheel slightly and now that's spot on.
Tomorrow is another practice day but will be down by the competition area.
Back to top Go down
RobD

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:04 am

Wftc 2018 Day 2
A practice day today and it was rather warm, about 27°C. The wind at the practice/zeroing range was light but shifting all the time. Due to the heat it was hard to tell 48m from 50m because of mirage or heat haze. Either way the rifle was shooting low today and had to adjust again. Speed still on point.
Had a walk around the course too and it looks like a lot of fun. Plenty of sneaky targets where you have to position yourself just right to shoot through gaps. Several steep uphill targets up the quarry wall, they look far away too.
My first impression was that the courses looked really hard but as I checked more of it I think it'll be fine.
Going to be hot tomorrow and they've got plenty of water all round the course.
Also had a group photo and with competitor numbers increasing every year it gets harder for the photographers to get everyone in the photo. I think they managed it.
Met my shooting partner for the next few days, Andy Kays, top bloke, gonna have a great time!
Also had welcome dinner at Villa Verde Hotel this evening...lovely meal, great company, all fuelled up and ready for tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
RobD

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Wftc 2018 Day 3
First day of competition and it's a hot one ~29°C. I figured after yesterday's trouble with heat haze that I should head up the range a little earlier. Happy with ranging distance and pellet speed just right. Groupings not so flash, zero was off again overall not so confident.
Morning session had an awful lot of stoppages, some lost count after about 22 whistle blows. Very late finish so us in afternoon session didn't start until about 5pm! A long day of high temp I felt a little worse for wear. Some excellent scores in morning session though I might add.
I knocked down some really hard ones and missed some that I know I shouldn't have. I dropped my pellet pouch so had to fish out a bunch of damaged pellets. Probably didn't get them all!
We ran out of light with 8 lanes to go and will start earlier in morning to finish off. Seems a repeat of wftc2016!
I'm not at all pleased with my score so far considering it was actually quite calm, meanwhile Andy, my shooting buddy, is doing well.
I'll try and hold it together tomorrow but I have 66 targets to get through.
Time for a good sleep.
Back to top Go down
RobD

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:07 am

Wftc 2018 day 4
2nd day of competition. Another hot day 27°C+.
Some of us had targets still to shoot from previous day so that was going to add an hour. The marshals had some deliberation last night and decided to stick to the schedule, any protests about suspect targets to be recorded rather than time spent inspecting targets. Morning session kicked off about 9am and was supposed to finish at 12 noon but was 1400 instead. Then time to repaint targets and let afternoon session in. They were expected to take 5 hours, well they were much less! Thunderstorms happened and rather a lot of rain fell such that targets were not clearly visible. Afternoon session cancelled part way through.
How did I go in the morning? ..average ????
Last night after a little pondering I figured I had overtightened the rifle action screws so did those up how I normally do them. I spent about 45 mins sighting in this morning and found all click settings were good apart from 20-25m (too high). Figuring that there were not many targets at those distances I'd run with it and compensate if I had to.
Well it turns out as the day warmed up that everything shot high except the close ones. Once I had that sussed out I did much better. So after 2 days shooting I'm on 59/100 and I believe we're to be awarded 1 point for a faulty target that was removed from competition.
Who knows what tomorrow will bring, I'll do my best with what I know so far. Still learning a lot from these championship courses and need to figure out how to setup the rifle to be more consistent with changing temperatures.
Last day tomorrow per the schedule, not sure yet what their plan is for the uncompleted afternoon session today and scores etc. Will let you all know tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
RobD

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 am

Wftc 2018 day 5
3rd day of competition (sort of). Much cooler day pretty much like current NZ weather I imagine... cold and wet.
So you may or may not have gathered that due to so many delays throughout the competition and the most part because of intense thunderstorms yesterday that the 3rd day of shooting was cancelled. The afternoon session from yesterday still had more than 30 targets to shoot in order to complete their second day. So they finished off this morning with gear still wet and it rained some more then cleared up.
There were a number of shoot offs today and full results can be found on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've had a relaxing day with no shooting to do and time to reflect on the last 5 days. Spring guns can sometimes have a mind of their own and careful preparation is required, knowing the conditions you're entering into and preparing your rifle to suit are important. Training is essential, I've experienced a new level of difficulty these championships with targets much higher at 50m out than I've ever shot.
You must also know how to read the wind without the help of target strings.
Well done to the winners and big thanks to the organisers and sponsors.
A new year beckons...
Back to top Go down
Pauly5

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks for the regular updates Rob. I did follow them on Facebook in a more timely manner.
I like the way you analyze in hindsight, as they are good points to take on.
Back to top Go down
gecado22

PostSubject: Great report Rob.   Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Enjoyed reading your report Rob but one thing stood out when you wrote "You must also know how to read the wind without the help of target strings". Did the targets not have strings to reset them, were they reset remotely?
Back to top Go down
RobD

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:52 am

No. What they sometimes do at these competitions is run the string through a loop attached either to the ground or tree. This is to prevent the string getting tangled with other strings that may be crossing it or perhaps getting snagged on the surroundings. Sometimes it seems they take the string on a little tiki tour to go around obstacles rather than straight to the target.
The strings were not always pegged but if you rely on them to read the wind then you're gonna lose valuable points. There were a number of shooters there putting in some fabulous scores so they must have the ability to read the wind or they got lucky with calm at the right time. I'm going with the former.
Finding a venue nearby to practice in that has variable wind direction, variable elevation and a mixture of bush and open will take time. I believe its important to have these characteristics in a venue to be competitive on the world stage. (Moving to Palmy isn't practical for me - 643FT - but a great venue)
With north harbour on the lookout for a new place I'm hopeful that a permanent new venue exhibits these characteristics but we'll be grateful for whatever the council find for us.
Back to top Go down
gecado22

PostSubject: Target strings.   Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Understand. Thanks for the clarification. All the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WFTC 2018 Poland   

Back to top Go down

WFTC 2018 Poland
Page 1 of 1